Backpacking Australia – Australian Visa’s & Immigration

Share knowledge and advice

top 10 tips for flying - Customs

Backpacking Australia – Australian Visa’s & Immigration

Immigration and Visa's

Australian Visa’s

So you want to go to Australia, but do they want you to go?

That can very much depend of the nature of your trip, how long you want to stay and whether you have a Visa!

Australian can be tough on immigration so this is an important section you to read before you apply.

This section covers off some of the basics and shows you some of the places you can go to find out what you need, how to get it and where to get it from.

How long can I stay there on an Australian Visa

This will depend on the declaration you complete when you enter Australia and also the type of visa you have.

There are many different type of VISA, covered off in the VISA’s section and the length of stay offered by the visa can vary from 3, 6 or 12 months.

Can I work there?

Under certain circumstances you can but you will need to look into it more and will certainly need a visa.

Do I need a Australian Visa?

You sure do…

If you are not an Australian or New Zealand citizen, you will need a visa to enter Australia.

If you are from New Zealand you can apply for a visa upon arrival in the country.

If you are from anywhere else you must apply for a visa before you leaving home.

You can apply for a range of visas as listed below; these vary in price, complexity and length of stay:

Types of Visa available – click + to reveal content

Tourist Visa

Tourist Visa
A tourist visa is for people visiting Australia for a holiday, sightseeing, social or recreational reasons, to visit relatives, friends or for other short-term non-work purposes.

Tourist visa – You can apply for this on-line

The tourist visa is a temporary visa which allows you to stay in Australia for up to three or six or 12 months.

ETA (Electronic Travel Authority)
ETA (Electronic Travel Authority)
This is an electronic authority which permits short-term visits to Australia of up to three months.

This is an electronic authority which allows you to visits Australia for tourism or business purposes for up to three months.

Sponsored Family Visitor Visa
If you are looking to visit family in Australia for a stay period of up to 12 months this could be the VISA for you although you will need a formal sponsorship from an Australian citizen or permanent resident to apply.

Non-Australian citizens from certain countries are eligible to transit through Australia without a visa. If you do not qualify for transit without a visa, you will need to apply for a Transit visa.

Working Holiday Visa
Working Holiday visa
The Working Holiday and Work and Holiday VISA’s allowing young people to have an extended holiday which can be supplemented by short-term employment.
There are two types of Working Holiday visas:

Working Holiday visa
For people from Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and United Kingdom.

Work and Holiday visa
For applicants from Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey and the USA.

Student Visa
Student visa
What if you are a student and you want to go somewhere new to study?

Can you study in Australia?

Well I am happy to tell you that you possibly can.

There are special visas for students wishing to study in Australia and for parents, relatives or guardians of a student who is studying in Australia.

There are eight sub-classes of student visas depending on where you are from, what you want to study and the type of passport you hold.

Further information can be sourced through the Australian Government and they can advise you on how to apply for the correct visa to meet your individual needs.

If you are looking to go to Australia through a work based training or professional development program Australia can provide sponsored training visas.

What if I want to extend my stay?

If you are already in Australia and hold a valid ETA, eVisitor, Tourist visa granted for a stay of three months or less you can extend your stay in Australia to a maximum of six months.

This information can periodically change so check out the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship website for details.

Oz visa form

How do I apply for an Australian Visa?

You can apply for a visa in one of three ways:

• At your nearest Australian Consulate
• For some Visa’s you can apply online
• Use a company providing a VISA service

(especially if you have several to apply for)

Here are some links to companies who can provide you a VISA service if you really want to make life easier:

Fast Passport Centre (US)
Prince Visa (uk)
Passport Visas Express

Comments: 1

  1. […] « Backpacking Australia – Visa’s & Immigration Backpacking – How can I save money? » […]

Add your comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.